14 August 2009

BlackBerries

One thing western Washington is probably known for, but y'all don't know, it is the Blackberry bushes that grow EVERYWHERE! (I know several missionaries that served in this area, and almost all of them for service hours at one time or another helped members remove or trim back the berry bushes). You don't have to go far to find any. They line all the roads around here and are easily found in or near the woods around here.
The berries are ripe right about now and probably for a few more weeks. My friend had mentioned that she had gone berry picking right in her backyard. That inspired me, while I was planning on going over to said friend's house and pick with her, I ended up in a parking lot by some soccer fields. I picked about 30 minutes yesterday and an hour this morning. Black berries are not the most pleasant thing to pick as they are quite the thorny plant. There is no possible way of NOT getting stuck by the thorns, so basically you have to decide if you like blackberries enough to go through so many prickleys. I would take a picture of the blackberries that I did pick, but I am a little tired from it.

I am also awaiting the arrival of my parents at the moment. The stayed in South Eastern Washington last night and should be making their way here as I type.

1 comment:

Moo said...

You can send me some jam if you want. Hope your Mom & Dad made it okay. Did you go to the Space Needle with them?