08 August 2009

Quick Trip

We made a quick trip back to Detroit this last week to attend Dave's father's funeral. As with any trip to the Detroit area, I had issues with the roads and directions and taking the scenic route. Coming from the airport, the directions printed off of Google Maps, told me to follow M-5 west. It was all good until then. I came to M-5 North and thought that perhaps M-5 west was just beyond the north. Wrong! I believe that I made this mistake last September also. The fact was, that was M-5 west and it shortly turned into M-5 North about a mile after getting on the road. Their signs were a wee bit confusing. After going 5 miles, I was able to turn around and go back to M-5.
It only took two Michigan Uturns (i.e. Michigan lefts) to get to the Church where the services were being held. Normal places it would have been a left onto the road the church was located and then a left into the parking lot, but NO you must take a right, flip a Uturn and the designated Uturn place, go up past the church and take the next Uturn, so you then could make a right turn into the parking lot. Going to the cemetery I did a pretty good job at following people. I am glad that I did not get lost going there. Coming back was a little bit different. I was following my brother-in-law's Toyota Red car. I did pretty good, until about five miles from M-5 exit. I caught up and was following "the red car". I did think it was strange that he took off on 12 mile road. I knew we were headed for 13 mile road. I thought he might know an easier way with fewer Michigan lefts. It wasn't until the red car went perhaps 2 miles on 12 mile road and made a Michigan Uturn that I realizaed that I had been following a red Dodge car. Those people probably were thinking we were stalking them. I burst out laughing at my stupidity. Luckily I knew how to get back to M-5 and how to get back to the Condo. Dave wondered why his brother did not call us, then I reminded him that our phones were probalby still turned down from the services. Sure enough, we each had voicemails informing us that we were going the wrong way.
I have come to the conclusion that the signs back to the airport were much more clear. I think that they really want to help people to get out of there. No problems on Wednesday, despite the fact that they have a couple of terminals, a couple miles apart now. We were able to drop of my sister-in-law Donna at the second terminal, find our way to find a gas station and drop our car off.
Oh, about the car. I thought it was very thoughtful of the rental agency to ask if we wanted to pay for an upgrade from the economy class, which I declined. When we were all through with check in, I was informed that all they had left was a mini-van. So, if you ever rent a car in advance and you arrive later in the day, chances are that you will get an upgrade without having to pay for it.

3 comments:

Mary said...

You did well to get home. I am not so confident at navigating roads I don't know. those Michigan u-turns sound like what we saw in Egypt. There are no left turns. You must go to a designated place and make a u-turn in order to go left. Does Michigan have Egyptian engineers?
Hope everything went well for you and Dave. Glad you made it home.

Manda said...

I'm so glad you finally posted again! It's been forever...as for the upgrade, let me get this straight. They first tried to get you to pay for the upgrade, but once you said no they then gave you the upgrade since that is all they had any way?

Beee said...

That is correct Manda! It was sort of nice to have had the minivan, but I am not used to driving such a large vehicle I am ashamed to admit cutting off one person who was in my blind spot (I did look first! just did not see them)