25 August 2011

the blankets

I decided to make a couple of baby blankets for my most favorite cousins who had babies recently. Well, the pink and green one evolved first. I was talking to my cousin, Moo, checking to see if Loo would be okay with this sleeper I had found and bought for Loo. It happened to be pink with pink and green polka dots and a frog on it. Loo has had an adversion to pink for years. Our grandma I guess bought her three or four parkas when she was young. They happened to be ALL the same pink and white check, just different sizes, so she would always have one that fit. (I personally never knew that they were different coats). Well, while talking with Moo, I sort of thought it would be "cute" if I made a blanket that had the pink and white check. I was at the fabric store and found the flannel back (pink check), then I saw the frog on pink. . . wow, it was matching the little sleeper so well (loo likes frogs) The green polka dot topped it off. I thought the pink/white butterfly complimented it well. The peekos (triangle edging) had to be lined (I love how they alternate horizontal/vertical when folded). I had some green with white scroll fabric that finished the top off great.
I do peekos, because my childhood blanket (which I still have), had peekos. I remember sucking my thumb of one hand and fingering the peekos with my other hand. I loved slipping my fingers in the different triangles.
I then decided to do Coo's baby a blanket. That was a little more difficult, but it turned out PERFECT for them. The back matches their kitchen decorations great, which just was by chance. I loved the yellow and red ladybug and daisy fabric. It was originally going to be purple and green. I am so glad it morphed into the final project. My mom did help a lot on the pink blanket, and I wanted to give her credit and thank her for her help. I messed up cutting the peekos for the red quilt, otherwise she would have helped on that one too.


3 comments:

Moo said...

I think they turned out super cute! My favorite is the pink & frog one.

A friend said...

I think they look great!

Cynthia said...

Wahoo for red and yellow! And ladybugs! And cousins-in-law!